About Trinity Congregation
Historic Trinity Lutheran Church was organized in 1842 by German immigrants who settled in the Horse Prairie community of Southern Illinois. They built the first church in 1844. The present facility was dedicated in 1868.
Among the pastors who have faithfully served this congregation is Pastor Martin Stephan. Stephan, born August 13, 1777 in Stramberg, Moravia, is considered to be the “first Lutheran bishop in North America.” Serving as a Lutheran pastor in Dresden, Germany, Stephan became the leader of the Saxon Immigration to Perry County, Missouri in 1839. He was called to Trinity in the Fall of 1845 and served as the first resident pastor, living in the church. He served this congregation until his death February 26, 1846. He was among the first to be laid to rest in Trinity’s cemetery. The present marker was erected in 1988.
The organ still in use at Trinity was purchased in 1908. With it’s 16 stops, 900 pipes, and two manuals, it leads us in joyfully praising God in our divine services. With music as an important part of our life together Trinity enjoys a Trinity Family Choir as well as a Trinity Bell Choir. Our Trinity School children also grace our time of worship throughout the school year.
Since its beginning, the congregation has supported a Christian day school. The first school was erected in 1851. The main school building was dedicated in 1960. An addition with two classrooms and an all purpose room was dedicated in 2003. Trinity school offers classes for pre-K through grade 8.
In 1889 Trinity became a member congregation of the Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod.
Trinity’s worship services can be heard on Sunday mornings at 8:05 a.m. on WHCO radio 1230 AM, Sparta; and via internet on WHCO live broadcast – http://www.whcoradio.com/ .
Our Mission and Vision looks to the Word of God and all that He has called us to as His people. Our theme sets the foundation for all we do: Bringing Christ to the People, the People to World, and the World to Christ.